Automobile Insurance – Uninsured Motorist Coverage


Be Prepared for Drivers without Insurance

Unfortunately, not every driver is responsible and not all operating a vehicle carry the appropriate insurance. If you are involved in an accident and the other driver is at fault and does not carry insurance, you need to protect yourself by carrying Uninsured Motorist coverage. This type of insurance helps pays your medical expenses, pain and suffering or lost wages should you have an accident and the other driver has no insurance or is under insured. This is important coverage for you, your passengers giving you peace-of-mind should something happen while you are driving. Regrettably we share the road with many and not all drivers take the same precautions or safety of others seriously, so being prepared for the unforeseen is crucial for your financial and physical well-being.

There are two type of Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage: Non-stacked and Stacked. The difference is important to know.


Non-stacked UM takes the per limit stated on the Declarations page of the policy as the per accident limit. So, if you carry UM $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident limit on your policy, then this is what your accident limit would be if you or any passengers are injured in an accident with an uninsured/underinsured driver.

Stacked UM determines the per person and per accident limit by the number of vehicles covered by the same policy. Essentially, you stack your coverage. Say you have three vehicles on one policy with UM limits of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident with Stacked UM, and you are injured in an accident with an uninsured/underinsured driver. You would have limits of $300,000 per person/$900,000 per accident to cover the entire loss. Yes, the coverage is much greater for Stacked UM.

Check with one of our expert licensed insurance agents and they can help walk you through the different types of insurance and what makes sense for you and your situation.

Click here to get a quote.